August 26, 2012

Tiki bowling time!

This amazing photo was found here and comes from a calendar from 1965 from Belle-Air Lanes.

It's time to lace up your bowling shoes ladies and gentlemen and take a trip down memory lane (ha pun intended!) and browse through some amazing photos we found of a magical looking place called Kapu-Kai!
Kapu Kai was located in Cucamonga, California and was a Tahitian style restaurant, club and bowling alley which sounds like the most fabulous combo and we wish we could jump back in time to this Tiki-filled paradise!

How incredible are these lanes!?

The concrete work on the outside of the building was incredible!

We can't get enough of all the tiki-goodness in this photo!
Of course they had perfect signs to match!

That's all for now from this Polynesian paradise!
All photos of the Kapu Kai were found on this wonderful website!

8 comments:

  1. Everyone has gone bowling mad! I hear nothing about it and suddenly I read 3 posts within 5 hours about it! All very different content :) I love lovee loveee the first picture and that place looks so amazing. I suck at bowling but I enjoy the 2 hours of pretending I have a chance of winning :L

    Hailes<3

    Click here to visit my blog – Hailes Hearts Fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That is so beautiful!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bowling lanes are SO cool! I haven't been bowling in forever, and the bowling alley bars around where I live are definitely not as rad as that tiki bar.
    I smell a fun bowling trip! Thanks for the great pics ladies!
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was browsing my own shop the other day and spotted like 5 bowling items...apparently I've a sucker for vintage bowling stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this post! Recently I joined a bowling league (so we can wear our vintage bowling shirts) and went to Tiki Oasis for the first time, so this post combines what August has been all about!

    I linked this post to my facebook page because it's so fabulous, and my friend who is an aficionado of all things Old and Cool told me that those lanes weren't in the Kapu-Kai -- they STILL exist in AN APARTMENT BUILDING in Florida!!! Isn't that amazing? He sent me think link he'd seen, so I thought I'd send it along for you to enjoy, too. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29385&forum=5&start=60&hilite=Bowling+alley+fort+lauderdale

    I want to move there! Can you imagine?

    Love and enjoy your blog -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, so cool! My mom grew up in Cucamonga, I wonder if she ever went here! Gotta ask her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 30 minute documentary on the Kapu Kai, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.satoauto.com/odds-and-ends/2013/9/5/the-kapu-kai.html
    -Aloha, Colin

    ReplyDelete