August 1, 2013

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

There is something about a stormy summer evening that puts us in the mood to watch a classic horror movie... and if the star of the movie just happens to be Mia Farrow wearing cute sixties mini dresses and rocking not one, but two adorable hairstyles then all the better! Don't get me wrong, the movie is certainly not all sunshine and rainbows and it definitely has a dark side to it, but we can always look past all of that and appreciate a classic 1960's setting.

Rosemary's Baby is one of those classic horror movies that everyone always refers to, like Psycho, that I'm sure most of you have seen. For those of you haven't here is a quick plot summary: the movie takes place in 1965 in New York city following a young couple, Rosemary Woodhouse (played by Mia Farrow) and her husband Guy Woodhouse (John Cassavetes), who have just moved into a new apartment. They quickly become acquainted with some strange new neighbors and bizarre occurrences start happening shortly after. Also, not long after getting settled into their new place Rosemary discovers that she is pregnant but begins to suspect that the baby may be from the sinister side.

What we enjoyed most about this movie is the fact that it was an unexpected source of 1960's fashion inspiration! Mia Farrow is sporting the cutest mod mini dresses throughout the entire movie (and her entire pregnancy!) and it really inspired us to get up and throw on a cute floral dress and a pair of low square heels ASAP!

The cast of characters in this movie is a definitely a colorful one! But hey, the more eccentric the more interesting, right?

Like we said earlier, we are absolutely loving the quirky 1960's style throughout the entire film. Bold prints, over-sized collars, and short dresses galore! Also, Mia Farrow can be seen rocking her iconic pixie haircut here! She flawlessly transitions from a blunt bob to a short pixie cut like it's no big deal. What a woman. 

Keep this movie in mind the next time you are in the mood for something retro yet slightly creepy.
XO

*all screen shots were taken directly from the movie.*

13 comments:

  1. You know, I was thinking about this movie a time ago. I watched just the end of it, and I still wanting to see him completely...
    Thank you for the post, and for reminding me I need to watch it from the begging! hahaha

    xo

    Evv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a classic. So many things to love about this movie. Mia Farrow, the fashion and that apartment. What's not to love? Besides the creepy neighbors. Love the screen shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the decor from that movie!! Those lavish apartments in NYC...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't watch creepy movies without thinking about them the MINUTE my husband is out of town overnight. Scared to death!!! And now I don't even have my German Shepherd to protect me. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never actually seen this movie, but I've been wanting to watch it! Pins & Macarons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I saw this movie once, it is very creepy and random!

    Rowdy Fairy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to see this for all the mod fashion and decor, but I'm really scared to watch horror flicks, so it's just not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this movie!
    xx
    http://thescreensiren.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen this!!! I might have to check it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've watched this movie twice and I'm still not sure what I think of it, but as you mentioned it in your post - this is one of the classics that everyone should watch at least once :) About the dresses I loved them as well!
    I just wanted to say that your blog is really lovely and it has been very inspiring to me :)

    Have a nice day,
    Zuza
    Our Recipe For Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've actually never heard of this movie! I'll definitely watch it when I next get the chance though!
    Danielle xo

    opheliaevernote.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's one of my favourite films of all time and I derive great pleasure from watching Rosemary transform her new apartment into a place of 60s chic. Glad someone else enjoys it for the glories of the era.

    ReplyDelete